Sunday, July 22, 2012

Moving to NYC

I've moved, well, a lot. In fact, this will be my 24th move in 18 years. There were a lot of really short stays early in our marriage.

But this is the first time that I'm on my own. I got into Columbia University and my husband and I decided that we didn't want to relocate the kids for a 2 year program considering that we just moved them to this house (and school system) a little over a year ago.

So I applied for student housing and it was granted. I'm leaving most of my stuff here with them and only taking the vital items to a 300 square foot efficiency apartment on the Upper West Side.

 And last night, I did the math. I am at 31 days until my flight leaves. After having a mild panic attack and some wicked acid reflux about 3am, I decided it was time to get my act together.

Oh, another thing I didn't mention, I'm attempting to make a blanket for each of my kids before I leave. And I am woefully behind. So, if you are bored and want a good laugh, keep checking back because I intend to blog every day recounting what I got done for the move.

If nothing else, it might show you what NOT to do.

As of right now, I have secured my flight to LaGuardia.
And I have paid the deposit and the first month's rent on the apartment. BTW, apartments in NYC are NOT cheap, just in case you had any delusions about that. I'm paying almost $1200 a month for 300 square feet. I lucked out that Columbia offered me this housing because this is a good deal and it's close to campus and it meant I didn't have to beg anyone to go look at the apartment for me so I wasn't being ripped off.

On the docket for today:
1) Contact Con-Ed about getting electricity set up
2) Go through and pack some books 3) Crochet a blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment